Saturday, May 28, 2016

Trunk Club Review #1


Welcome to my very first blog post and experience with Trunk Club!
I requested summer basics, with the ultimate goal of having a capsule-esque wardrobe for each season. I don't really give myself rules concerning number of items and when I can/can't shop ('cause who wants to limit themselves anyway...), but I really want work horses in my closet.

Since I want pieces that are going to be versatile, my goal for this post is to show the outfits that Trunk Club recommends for each piece, but also to create three outfits using my own clothes and accessories. I Googled how to pose in pictures, but I'm not a professional model. I'm sure that will be pretty apparent.
I'm not paid by any of these companies and all opinions are my own. Some of the links in this post are my referral links, and if you sign up using my link I will get a small bonus to help me fund my obsession.

Let me start of by describing how Trunk Club works:

Sign up and receive a stylist. This stylist is YOURS, and doesn't switch like other clothing subscriptions. Your stylist will contact you either via phone or email (I requested email because of my busy schedule) and ask you questions about your style, how you like things to fit, what you're interested in receiving, etc. In addition to clothing, she asked if I would be interested in getting shoes, accessories, bags, or workout gear.
Next your stylist will select approximately 15 items to go in your trunk. All the clothing is from Nordstrom, and therefore will be Nordstrom quality and prices. My stylist did a really good job listening to my price point and sticking to that. At this point I got to review her choices and either keep them or remove them from the trunk. For each item I chose to remove I was able to explain why. This first go around I only kept three items (a pair of shoes and two jackets).
Your stylist will fill in the gaps back up to 15 pieces and ship it. You can peek at your trunk and see what's in it, but you don't get to remove items a second time. Once you receive your trunk you have 10 DAYS to decide what to keep and what to send back. You only pay for what you keep, and the best part is there is NO styling fee and shipping is free both ways. They make it really easy to send the trunk back too—either drop it off at UPS or schedule a pick up! (Unlike with Wantable and Stitch Fix, you do not receive a discount for keeping the whole trunk).
Another great feature is that all of this can be done on a free app for your phone - no need to sit down at a computer!
Now to the fun part... what did I get in my first ever trunk?

Long High/Low Stripe Tunic

IMG_5825
Tunic, Trench, and Nilla Sandals
This is the first outfit my stylist recommended. Let's start by talking about the tunic.
Initial Impressions: ... why is this called a tunic? It's clearly long enough to be considered a "dress". Then I put it on. Holy slit Batman! It's cut all the way up to my underwear line! This combined with the high/low hemlines is just... weird.
The details:
  • Cost: $99
  • Brand: Vince Camuto
  • Color: Guava Fruit
  • Size: M
  • Material: 100% Polyester
  • Washing Instructions: MW Cold/TD Low
The Looks:



The high slit requires leggings so I wore some for all three looks. For the first two I chose black leggings because of the black stripe. The gray jacket and the white scarf in the first look are both from Golden Tote. This is a look that I would wear to work. Since I work in a school that can't seem to get its heating/air conditioning figured out, I like to dress in layers. For the second look I switched out the jacket for a chambray shirt I kept from Trendsend, and added a statement necklace. For the third look I swapped necklaces and opted for leggings that would complement the olive stripe in the tunic. I also added a belt to provide a waistline to the otherwise shift-style tunic.
IMG_5831
The Verdict: While I like the colors in this tunic, I'm just not a fan of the long high/low slit style. While I was able to create three looks, they're not different enough for me to think of this piece as being very versatile. Also... as my attempt at a pouty face is trying to portray, this tunic is too big for me. This will be going back in my trunk.

Trench Coat with Detachable Hood

IMG_5849
Initial Impressions: This trench coat was one of the items I "kept" in my trunk when my stylist initially styled it for me. Upon receiving it I was really happy to see that it was made of what felt like waterproof material (Nordstrom.com says this coat is "water resistant"). I live in the Pacific Northwest and we get quite a bit of rain. Then I noticed the pleating on the butt. They're tacked down, but the threads are quite obviously meant to be cut. Since I'm not committed to keeping the trench I don't want to cut them, so we'll have to imagine what that would look like.
The details:
  • Cost: $98
  • Brand: Steve Madden
  • Color: Stone
  • Size: M
  • Material: 55% cotton, 45% polyester
  • Washing Instructions: Dryclean Only
IMG_6342
Photo of the back with the ties cut
The Verdict: This coat is a very nice quality and fits well. The hood doesn't fit if I have my hair up in a ponytail, but no hoods do. I feel like this coat has a lot of bells and whistles between all the straps, buttons, and ruffles, and that's not really my thing. It is dryclean only, which would normally make something an automatic "no" for me, but with coats it's not as much of an issue because of the rarity the coat would need to be washed. (As in... I don't think I've washed a coat ever). I wasn't sure if I was going to keep this or not until my Mom and I decided to go shopping on Mother's day and it was raining... so I cut the tags and the strings holding the pleats and wore it! This trench coat is mine, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Zip Pocket Open Jacket

This is another outfit my stylist recommended. These jeans I kept from Stitch Fix are by JustBlack.
IMG_5921
Halogen jacket, Mixed Media Top, TOMS
Initial Impressions: This looks like something my grandma would wear. Not in a bad way... but the light blue tweed and the cut just remind me of her. The zippered pockets are very cool and help to modernize it.
The details:
  • Cost: $98
  • Brand: Halogen
  • Color: Blue-White Tweed
  • Size: M
  • Material: 100% Polyester
  • Washing Instructions: Dry clean
The Looks: 


The Verdict: I really like the looks I came up with, and while I like the color and the zippered pockets, the jacket is a little expensive for a piece that's so dressy, and this working mom does not dry clean. This jacket is going back in the trunk.

Sleeveless Mixed Media Top

IMG_5912
Initial Impressions: I love the polkadots! And the sheer top and bottom add some interest to an otherwise very classic top. White is also a very versatile color, so I know this would be a good staple item.
The details:
  • Cost: $59
  • Brand: Vince Camuto
  • Color: White with Black Polkadots
  • Size: Medium (Nordstrom recommends sizing down if you're between sizes)
  • Material: 95% polyester, 5% elastane with 100% polyester contrast
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


For my first look I layered the tank with a cardigan from Loft, and jeans and a statement necklace from Stitch Fix. I partial-tucked the tank to add length to my leg, but it's challenging with this top because of the sheer fabric and the slit on the side. I wore these purple heels on my wedding day, and love finding ways to wear them. This top is also long enough to be a tunic, so I paired it with leggings and added a belt to give it some shape. For the final look I decided to mix the pattern with floral, and tucked it into this Gilli skirt I kept from Stitch Fix, and added a pendant necklace.
The Verdict: This is a good solid basic that I would probably get a lot of use out of if I didn't already have pieces that perform this task in my closet. Also I probably could have used a size smaller, since the shirt has some stretch to it. I'm not really a fan of how it falls off of my chest like a tent.

Soft Utility Jacket

Another outfit suggested by my stylist. I think this one is pretty cute.
IMG_5935
Utility Jacket, Caslon Shorts, TOMS
Initial Impressions: This jacket is SOFT! It's a little loose and flowy for me - kind of an odd juxtaposition with the utility style. It also only zips up halfway, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of. There is also a drawstring that cinches around the waist to give it some shape.
The details:
  • Cost: $88
  • Brand: Caslon
  • Color: Olive Tarmac
  • Size: M
  • Material: 100% Rayon
  • Washing Instructions: Hand Wash/Hang Dry
The Looks:


I wanted to try a variety of different outfits to see how versatile this jacket would be. The first look is a denim pencil skirt by JustBlack that I bought from Golden Tote, and the scarf is from Loft. The second look is a LoveStitch dress that I bought from Golden Tote. The third look contains yet another Golden Tote item, this embroydered tank I bought off of the boards. The jeans are from Loft.
The Verdict: There are a lot of things I like about this jacket, and was considering keeping it until I looked at the material. The last time I handwashed an item that was 100% rayon it shrank. This makes me sad, because otherwise I would have kept this jacket. I hope my stylist sends me something similar in the future.

‘Addison’ Zip Pocket Shorts 

Initial Impressions: Cute color, although the lining is even cuter. It's too bad wearing the shorts inside out would probably be frowned upon.
The details:
  • Cost: $42.50
  • Brand: Caslon
  • Color: Coral Spice
  • Size: 8
  • Material: 97% cotton, 3% elastane
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


The coral shorts are a little tricky because of the bright color. I wanted to choose pieces that would complement the hue without competing with it. For my first look I picked the Corinna top from Stitch Fix. The neutral color and subtle stripe add some interest, and I picked up the color in the shorts in a beaded wrap bracelet. In this photo you can also see that the pockets have a zipper closure, which is pretty cool. The second look is a tank from Golden Tote by Renee C, I really like this tank with the shorts because there is some coral in the print, but there are enough other colors to keep the outfit from being too coral. For the third look I paired the shorts with a chambray button up and a light pink earring for an easy summer feel. Here are some close-up shots below.


The Verdict: I've had a bit of a love affair with coral this spring, and these shorts are a bright color that works with a lot of items in my wardrobe. And at $42.50 you can't beat the price. These shorts are staying with me.

Popover Shirt Dress

Here is the dress styled the way my stylist suggested... I'm not a fan of the two loose items paired together. I feel like this adds unnecessary bulk to my figure.
IMG_5990
Utility Jacket, Popover Shirt Dress, TOMS
Initial Impressions: I like the idea of a chambray dress... but this one is HUGE. I prefer my clothing more fitted, and this one looks like a nightgown. While I usually LOVE pockets in dresses, these just add bulk to the hip area (which normally I could use because I don't have any hips, but they're uncomfortable and I keep needing to fix them)
The details:
  • Cost: $68
  • Brand: Caslon
  • Color: Superbleach
  • Size: M
  • Material:54% cotton, 46% lyocell
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


The first thing I did to try to control the shape was add a belt. This helps bring in the waist but there is so much fabric it's kind of bulky. I buttoned it all the way up and added a statement necklace for the first look. For the second look I tried adding a scarf to break-up the dress a bit, looking back at this picture I think I should have tried to roll up the sleeves to expose a little skin, since I covered it up with the scarf. I love this scarf that I kept from Stitch Fix, but I don't think it's enough to help the dress. The third look is one I could actually envision wearing. The cardigan I got as a surprise from Golden Tote and is by MAK. The horizontal stripes in the cardigan bring the eye into the center, and gives the body the illusion of an hourglass figure.
The Verdict: This was the first item back in the trunk. While I do like the third look I created, I had to basically coverup the entire dress in order to like it. I think I would like a chambray dress, but one that I would be comfortable wearing on its own.

‘Addison’ Zip Pocket Shorts 

IMG_6237
Arrow shorts, Chambray Boyfriend Shirt, and TOMS
Initial Impressions: ARROWS!!!! Also, they're the exact same shorts as the previous ones, just a different colorway. After some research on Nordstrom's site, I discovered that there are a large variety of colors these shorts come in.
The details:
  • Cost: $42.50
  • Brand: Caslon
  • Color: Ivory Arrow Print
  • Size: 8
  • Material: 97% cotton, 3% elastane
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


This first look is with a shirt by Elizabeth&Clarke, I love their pieces because they are really high quality basics. This one is called "The Hutton" and while I just received it this spring, it is actually from their Fall 2015 collection. To add some color to the otherwise neutral outfit I added this necklace I received from Stitch Fix. I wanted my second look to be more spring/summery so I added this mint top by Skies Are Blue from Golden Tote, and some large silver earrings from Wantable. The final look I wanted to be more casual so I chose a graphic elephant tee from Loft and my chambray shirt.
The Verdict: I kept the coral ones, so of course I'm keeping the cute arrow ones. I mean, come on. The tags are off and these puppies are mine!

Chambray Boyfriend Shirt

Initial Impressions: Yay! A chambray shirt! This is another item that I "kept" from my initial trunk review. I've been in search of a lighter wash chambray shirt... but unfortunately this one is boyfriend cut, and typically I like my clothing more fitted. I just bought a pair of white boyfriend jeans by JustBlack off of Golden Tote and I'm still trying to find my confidence (it doesn't help that they're white...)
The details:
  • Cost: $78
  • Brand: Treasure&Bond
  • Color: Miner Light Vintage
  • Size: M
  • Material: 100% cotton
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


For the first look I wanted something that would make this Gilli dress from Golden Tote look a little more casual. I think this shirt dresses it down a little too much though. The second look is with the white boyfriend Jeans and my Stitch Fix statement necklace. The third look is with a Papermoon maxi skirt I kept from Stitch Fix last summer. I really like this last look, but the shirt still doesn't work for me.
The Verdict: This shirt is not that bad, but I'm not in love with it either. From the second look you can see the boob-gap (this happens a lot with me and button-ups). The boyfriend cut is just too loose for me, and I'm not a fan of the "vintage miner" wash. This shirt is going back in the trunk.

Gingham Paperbag ShortsGingham Bonded Mini Skirt

Initial Impressions: ...these are not shorts!? I'm pretty sure shorts are supposed to have legs. This is definitely a skirt. After some Googling I discovered that while this skirt is the same brand and the same colorway as the Paperbag Shorts. I was definitely sent the wrong item. Even more perplexing, I was unable to find the skirt-version on Nordstrom.com, so the link above is to Topshop's website. On the top is a picture of the item I was supposed to receive, and the skirt on the bottom is what actually came in my trunk. (Neither of these are me - I took these images from their respective websites).


The details:
  • Cost: The shorts are $58, the skirt is $68 but is on sale for $45 right now!
  • Brand: Topshop
  • Color: Monochrome
  • Size: 8
  • Material: 70% Cotton, 30% Polyester
  • Washing Instructions: MW cold/TD low
The Looks:


I wanted to combine this gingham print with a floral top. I love the back of this Le Lis one I bought off the boards for Golden Tote. For the second look I paired a chambray shirt I recently bought at J. Crew Mercantile. While I do really like the pattern, I'm just not quite comfortable wearing a skirt this short. For the third look I decided to go with leggings to see what this skirt would look like in a fall outfit. The top I received from Golden Tote, and the scarf is from Stitch Fix.
The Verdict: I wish I had received the shorts, because these looks really make me love the pattern, and I think they would be a great addition to my wardrobe. However, as it stands, the miniskirt definitely doesn't work for me. Even with leggings this skirt wouldn't be work appropriate... also I don't have hips or a butt, and I don't fill this skirt out the way it was meant to be.

Linen & Cotton Pull-On Shorts

Initial Impressions: These look exactly like a pair of shorts my mom wore before I stopped letting her buy pants with elastic waist bands. While I like to be comfortable, I don't know if I want to look this comfortable. I appreciate that they have pockets though.
The details:
  • Cost: $49.50
  • Brand: Madewell
  • Color: Indigo
  • Size: M
  • Material: 55% linen, 45% cotton
  • Washing Instructions: MW Cold/Line Dry
The Looks:


The first look is with a lace-back Gilli tank from Golden Tote. I knew the colors would work well because the floral print has a lot of this same bright blue. For a slightly different but still casual look I chose the Corinna top from Stitch Fix. The third look was my attempt at dressing the shorts up a little bit using a sleeveless blouse from Loft. It didn't work. Despite being so casual the shorts don't seem that bad, until you look at the next couple of pictures. That, my friends, is a muffin top. I'm not buying a pair of shorts that give me a muffin top.


The Verdict: These shorts are not flattering and are too casual for my lifestyle. They wouldn't be bad for lounging around the house, but I have pajamas for that. Also, these shorts are more expensive than the cute shorts. So given the style and the price tag, these are going back in the trunk.

‘Revelation’ Half Zip Top 

IMG_6055
Zilla Half Zip Top and Plank Pants
Initial Impressions: I like the color, but I'm not sure I work out enough (ok, I don't work out at all right now...) to justify spending the money on this top. Here is my attempt at a Yoga pose...
The details:
  • Cost: ON SALE $52.26
  • Brand: Zella
  • Color: Purple
  • Size: M
  • Material: 88% polyester, 12% spandex
  • Washing Instructions: MW Cold/TD Low
The Verdict: I did spend a lot of time working out when I was pregnant, and my preferred method is group fitness classes. In this I would get really hot and sweaty, and I'm not sure the long sleeves on this top would be comfortable. If and when I start having a regular workout routine again, I think I would prefer something with shorter sleeves.

‘Plank’ Pants

IMG_6057
Get it? Plank pants?
Initial Impressions: These pants are pretty cool. They're stretchy and feel like they would hold in all your rolls. They also have this neat pocket where you can put your phone. It does create a slightly unsightly bulge, but I did some high-knees to test it and I couldn't feel my phone at all. Also, no VPL, which is pretty awesome.
The details:
  • Cost: $64
  • Brand: Zella
  • Color: Black
  • Size: M
  • Material: 88% polyester, 12% spandex
  • Washing Instructions: MW Cold/TD Low


The Verdict: These pants are great! I can totally see myself working out in these. However... since I don't currently work out, I don't really want to spend the money on them. I will definitely keep these in mind for this summer when I have more time to exercise. The nice thing about Trunk Club is since they pull their clothing from Nordstrom, I can always watch for them to go on sale on their website.

‘Nilla’ Wedge Sandal

Initial Impressions: I think I'm in love...? I love the color, the height is perfect, and I prefer shoes with ankle straps because my feet don't have to work as hard to keep my shoes on. I wore these around the house for an hour or so while I was trying things on immediately after receiving my trunk, and they felt pretty comfortable. Like most people one of my feet is bigger than the other, so one side felt a little tight while the other felt perfect. Since they're leather it's likely they will stretch a little with wear. I will need to wear them more to make sure I want to commit to the price tag.
IMG_6147
The details:
  • Cost: $79.95
  • Brand: Steve Madden
  • Color: Cognac Leather
  • Size: 8
  • Material: Leather upper/synthetic lining/rubber sole
The Verdict: I was all set to keep these until I went down a flight of stairs. Since the strap around the ankle is leather it doesn't have any stretch, which makes it uncomfortable to flex my ankle in the way that climbing stairs requires. That combined with the tightness of the shoes makes them a no for me, but I love the style and I hope my stylist will send me something similar. Back in the trunk these go...

‘Majorca’ Perforated Mule

Initial Impressions: TOMS!!!! Maybe they're a little tight? They'll stretch a little right? It feels a little hard on my heels... but the upper is so soft!!! Does my heel stick off the back a little???
IMG_6328
The details:
  • Cost: $97.95
  • Brand: TOMS
  • Color: Sandstorm Nubuck
  • Size: 8
  • Material: Leather upper/synthetic lining and sole.
The Verdict: After wearing these around the house (and down the street... and out to dinner...) I decided that they were comfortable and seriously cute. The heel may be higher than I'm used to wearing (as a teacher I almost always wear flats to work) but they don't make my feet hurt. Also for every pair of shoes purchased TOMS gives a pair to a child in need. So I'm just thinking of the children. :)

Overall Impressions...

This experience with Trunk Club was great, I'm definitely a believer. My stylist did a really good job responding to my requests and sticking with my budget. Since there is no style fee, I don't feel obligated to purchase anything, and since there isn't an incentive to purchase the entire trunk, I don't feel pressured into buying something I'm not in love with. I kept 4 out of the 15 items I was sent: the Majorca Mules by TOMS, the trench coat by Steve Madden, and the two pairs of shorts by Caslon. My four items totaled $280.95. While this price seems a little steep, I did purchase a coat and shoes which I will get a lot of use out of and I know they'll last a long time. Overall I highly recommend Trunk Club, and I look forward to getting a trunk every few months.

1 comment: